Monday 8 February 2016

OUGD503 - Collaborative - Environmental sketches

It was decided that me and the illustrator should focus on the environment and character designs as we won't be able to help much when it comes to the animation part. I picked to do the environmental designs as I felt that this would suit my style more. 

I did some initial experiments in photoshop using textures and various abstract shapes. I thought that these might be a little too abstract for the animation but we still don't have a full outline of the animation yet so I can't do that much for the moment. 






I think that this was my personal favourite out of all of them just because of its simplicity. I like the use of the textures instead of block colours as a backdrop as this will make the characters and animation really stand out on top. 


I also played with the thought of doing something isometric. Looking into what's happening in a square bubble of sorts a lot like the portal advert that is inspiring our idea. This would be really difficult to create full environments for though, it would be easier to do in a 3d software but I wouldn't know where to start. 


After showing these initial ideas to the rest of my responsive group I was surprised to find that they liked them a lot. I thought that they would be a bit too abstract and paired back for what we were thinking. However they had come up with some mood boards for the style of the animation and a lot of the illustrations that they had shown on these were a lot more complex than what I had created. 


A lot of the environments use lots of geometric shapes and different shades in order to create depth. They are also primarily vectorised illustrations with little traditional media used. I had also found an environment illustration that I thought was quite charming, so I used a combination of these to inspire my next environment designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment