Monday 21 December 2015

OUGD503 - Studio Brief - WWF Poster Development

To support the ecosystem club campaign I wanted to create some posters and advertisements to get the word out to people. I had some initial ideas but I felt like I wanted to take the design away from WWF's normal style which seems to be just photography and text. So I played around digitally with layouts to see what I could come up with.


My first idea was sort of like a more editorial look, like something that might be found in a high fashion magazine. The combination of overlaying text and image and then contrasting this with a bold and bright background draws the eye. However I feel like from a distance the text would not be readable because of its weight and colour over the imagery. One of the most important things about posters is that they should be able to be read as quick as possible so I don't think this would fit. It was enjoyable to experiment with a different sort of style to my usual approach though. 

Next I had this idea that I had seen done by Snask on a printed friends cover. They had these huge letters covered in fauna and foliage with creatures. I thought that this would perfectly represent WWF because I could show each different area of interest that they have through showing their ecosystems. Which directly then links to the ecosystem clubs. So I thought that I would pick 3 of WWF's main areas of interest and portray them in their name: WWF.




I am really pleased with the outcome that I created by simply collaging different tropical plants and animals together. The result is really eye catching and creates a little environment for people to relate to. I wanted to keep the taglines simple so I went with just "Save the...". But after a critique one of my peers suggested that it would be better if the tagline was "Save our..." to make it more personal to the audience and directly link them to the campaign. Hopefully it will the persuade viewer that it is their responsibility to save not someone else's.


I also applied this to the ocean setting, focusing on the coral reefs that are in real trouble from global warming. The combination of the colours really brings the poster to life and shows what beauty there can be found in nature. This will persuade people to take action so they don't lose this beauty for good.  

I wasn't quite sure what to do for the last letter F as there are lots of other important campaigns within WWF yet some are harder to visibly represent than others. For example I am not sure how I could portray global warming and climate change. Would I show the effects of it or what the world was like before it? I think I will wait until my next critique until I work on these posters anymore so I can ask other peoples opinions on how to tackle the F.

No comments:

Post a Comment